Friday, June 1, 2012

A Turtle and a Trail


Here are two interesting wildlife encounters I had over Memorial Day weekend.

For starters, I've been seeing a lot of painted turtles in my yard and driveway recently. I managed to snap a picture of this little lady digging a hole to lay her eggs right at the bottom of my back steps.


 Close-up

The second is an entirely new experience to me, and just about the coolest thing I've seen all year. I was kayaking up the Winooski River when all of a sudden the river widened and became only ankle deep and very clear. I saw this crazy winding track in the sand at the bottom next to my boat. My first though was that it was possibly left by a boat that got beached before me, and dragged its tail end trying to get back to deeper waters.

It's pretty wide!

I followed it until I reached the end, and I noticed this big lump of a thing. Perhaps somebody dropped something off the boat?

No wait...

 It is what's making the trail!

 Just the largest mussel I've ever seen. And let me tell you, I've seen some mussels.


Mussels move by extending a muscular 'foot' out of the opening between their two shells and dragging themselves along after it. You can see evidence of this in the picture above. I watched it, its motion was so slow it was hard to tell it was moving but after awhile I could see its position had changed relative to its surroundings.

As I moved up the river I saw more of these paths, usually ending in a half-buried mussel or a mound indicating a fully buried one. This experience was amazing, I felt like I had an invitation to see a whole world that is usually kept secret and hidden.

3 comments:

  1. Nice read, and I learned something :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfectly wonderful! It has been a life long ambition to see painted turtle eggs hatch - or at least the baby turtles heading to their place in the wide world (or pond - whichever comes first).

    I am an eager 'turtle' spotter in the ponds near our house. There are many. You should come visit! When I was little I would see the turtles off to lay eggs but never found their nests.

    I think it takes 60-90 days..? (At least that was what my 20 sec. google search turned up.) Maybe we can make a protected zone for them.. :-) Great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope she still laid her eggs there! I do wonder if I spooked her, coming so close and taking pictures. Though perhaps a frequented human thoroughfare is not the best place for a nest anyway...silly turtles. I'll keep an eye on the spot, especially in about 3 months, to see if anything arises and you bet your buttons anything I find'll be on here.

    I'd love to come investigate your ponds! I am always excited to find new places to explore :) You'll have to show me all the best turtle spotting sites.

    ReplyDelete