Saturday, June 23, 2012

Milton Reconnaissance

The other day my friend (author of Lunches Fit For a Kid) came with me to investigate the trails at the park in Milton, so that I'll know where to go during my summer camp next week. It is a very interesting place,  and you'll see much more of it in the coming week I'm sure. Lots of different trees to talk about, ferns galore, and even some wildlife :)

Like this guy

We saw a few different American Toads (like that guy.) Common misconception: toads ARE frogs. We like to make the distinction that toads are more terrestrial, and they have drier, bumpy skin, but there is no difference according to the scientific family tree. They also don't have warts: their skin is supposed to be like that. The bumpiness helps break up their outline, so it's camouflage!

That bump behind its eye is a gland, not a wart.

While you can't get warts from touching toads, their sensitive skin can be harmed by your hands! I make it a point to never handle amphibians if I have sunblock or insect repellent or other harsh, chemical substances on my hands. The substances would enter their body easily through their super-absorptive skin and that would not make a happy little critter.

No toads were harmed in the making of this post. I've been trained in how to hold them, and I let him go right back where I found him :)



2 comments:

  1. help me I can't find what kind of frog I have Its brown,and it has some black on him/her no clue what kind it is so please help me
    help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have a picture you can e-mail me? Also, I'll need to know a general location, since species will vary depending on where you are. Hope I can help!

    ReplyDelete