Monday, May 14, 2012

Activities for the younger child

I have been working a lot with school-aged children recently, so a reader asked if I could give advice on explayration activities for toddlers/preschool children. Depending on group size and location things'll be a little different but here's one lesson I'd imagine up for 3 to 4 year olds.

If I were out in the woods with a small group of preschoolers, the most important thing would be to keep them interested and active. I like to start out with a learning-type activity, so I might let them run around and gather as many different types of leaves as they can find in one minute. I'd then encourage each child to tell me what makes one leaf different from others.

I prefer we collect leaves that are already on the ground but 
there is something VERY different about these leaves!

I'd have them save their findings for an arts and crafts activity, in this instance possibly a leaf-rubbing so the kids can take home an impression of their leaves while "leaving the nature out in nature." Since this requires a hard, flat surface it might be better inside, with a promise to return the leaves to outside when they have finished. This all helps work on observation and motor skills. As the kids press their leaves under the paper and pass the side of a crayon over it, they will be able to see more details of the leaves, like their veins, so this may prompt more discussion. I also like to encourage making patterns out of leaves, using more than one type of leaf in the art project, and switching colors. One of my kids used one color to rub the outline of the leaf, and then another to color the leaf in, it was a cool effect.

For another activity, I remember when I was this age I loved building "fairy homes." I used to use twigs, rocks, mud, anything I could find to make little houses in my backyard. I'd even find ready-made holes in stumps and attempt to make them nicer and prettier. This could be a good way to experiment with different types of building materials and to imagine how animals build their homes (especially how they do it without thumbs). Over time you can see what makes a home last out in the wild based on which of your fairy homes survive the wind and the rain.

Here's a pre-made fairy home we later furnished with some pine needles

A garden is another great way for kids of this age to connect with nature, even if it's just a small bed or a flower in a recycled yogurt cup on the windowsill. This is especially true if they get to see the whole process, including adding their own food to the compost pile, and getting to pick up worms they find. It's my personal opinion that there's a lot more to be gained by getting to touch things like worms than there is by keeping your hands clean. Hands will get dirty anyway, and the good thing about hands is they can be washed! (If you're extra squeamish, bring moist towlettes)

If you want to start your own compost pile, composting 101 is a great site for tips. Remember, if a compost pile is done right, it shouldn't smell bad at all! As long as you can put in a little effort there's no down side :)

3 comments:

  1. this is great! i'm gonna be running a day camp for a few weeks this summer for 3-9 year olds and any new activity ideas for the little folk are much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, glad to be of assistance! I am working with a few different day camps myself this summer. Let me know if you ever want to take your group on a guided nature walk or some other outdoor activity. The e-mail is explayration@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice activity. These may help much the children to value the plants and our environment. Online Education should be applied too in preschool so that kids will have a conducive learning style.

    ReplyDelete