Thursday, February 2, 2012

Nature Games 3

I really love these next two games. I was introduced to them only recently.

The first is an adaptation on Blind Man's Bluff entitled Star Nosed Mole. The mole is blindfolded (because moles are blind and thus use their other senses to detect prey) and the rest of the children were worms trying to avoid being caught by the mole. I joined in this game, though it was slower-paced than tag, it was much more nerve-wracking. I watched a student avoid capture by simply ducking under an outstretched arm, centimenters from a solid tag. I personally hid behind my co-worms when the tagger was close, so they'd be tagged first and the mole would go look else-where!

A star-nosed mole!

The next game we played that day was Squirrel. We each had 20 items, in this case black beans, to store for winter. Half of us were red squirrels who bury their chache all in one location, the other half were grey squirrels who make several different hidey-holes. Then we had to collect food, not from our own store but seeing if we could locate other squirrels' food. We had 31 seconds to find food, to represent the 31 days in January. I went hungry that month :( After a few more months we were allowed to return to our own stores of food. I returned only to find that all of mine (I was a grey squirrel) had been found and pillaged. I didn't have a very successful survival technique I suppose, but the kids were much more lucky. And we all had a great time!

A red squirrel enjoying one of its finds

No comments:

Post a Comment