Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Leaves!

Today I went to the young gentleman's kindergarten class to do a lesson on leaves. It was a pre-designed lesson from the Four Winds Nature Institute, being taught this month in participating schools all across the Northeast. My fellow volunteer for this classroom, who I met one hour prior to the lesson, is a very lovely mother of one of the young gentleman's classmates, and a doctor! It was a little odd teaching someone else's lesson plan, I'm getting used to making my own at this point. Still, we had a lot of fun with it. Adding our own spice, we put fake leaves in our hair, having the children guess what we'd come to talk to them about today.

Investigating leaves

The kids had a great time. During the introduction, when asked what leaves do, one child answered that "They make oxygen, which goes into your mouth, to your chest, then to your heart!". I love it when children surprise you with a tidbit they picked up and kept.

No comments:

Post a Comment